Monday, December 27, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Christmas was great this year. I'll only bore you with a few pictures of Christmas Eve. Here's our family picture at the Providence Love Feast.
Remember this picture from last year? Well, I made matching bow ties again! I know, I can't help it. and this year I went for super cheesy! What do you think??
For Simon, I put his bow tie right on his onesie. Sweet little guy. If you look at the first pic, you can see I also made myself a matching rosette!
And this year, we did something different. We had an "Oliva" Christmas eve lunch. All that means is that I made what I had growing up for Christmas Eve: ham with red rice and beans. I even set the table nicely. The only thing missing was my wita's potato salad. We substitued mashed potatoes because Luke doesn't like potato salad. Yum! I had really missed the traditional Christmas Even meal I had growing up.
Here's Luke cutting our little ham. Which is just leftovers from some ham Luke's parents had from another dinner.
I hope this is a tradition we keep with. I would love our kids to have a traditional Mexican Christmas Eve meal even if we can't be with my family.

Christmas day was fun. We traditionally sleep under the tree on Christmas Eve. So we woke up ready for the festivities. After Isaac's breakfast, we put a candle in a little cake I made and sang Happy Birthday to Jesus. Then we lit the final candle on our wreath and sang Joy to the World. What joy there truly was!!! And it was so sweet to hear Isaac say "Happy Birthday Jesus" Then we watched A Charlie Brown Christmas which is a little tradition of mine. I especially love that it communicates with clarity, what Christmas is really all about. And now Isaac recognizes that song as the snoopy song!

After presents, we had one more special present for Isaac to open. We put the baby Jesus from his Little People Nativity set in a box for him to open. We had him open it last because He was the greatest gift of all. I'm sure the real meaning of that didn't sink in this year, but I believe that God will be faithful to us in what we're trying to teach Isaac.

Then we headed off to Luke's parents house for more Christmas festivities!

It was a fun Christmas. But honestly, I'm so sad it's over. I just love Christmas! and if that's not depressing enough by itself, they're forecasting it to be in the 60's this weekend. Geez.

1 comment:

Steven and Candi Manning said...

I just love the matching bow ties and rosette!