Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Jesus, I Come

From the life and mind of William T. Sleeper, comes this compostion from the 1800's. The words of this hymn are really humbling and inspiring. I wonder what experiences William underwent to squeeze these words out of his soul. Amen Will, Amen.

(PS- You might want to pause/mute the music before reading to gain the full Iambic pentameter)

Out of my bondage, sorrow and night,Jesus, I come, Jesus, I come;Into Thy freedom, gladness, and light,Jesus, I come to Thee;Out of my sickness, into Thy health,Out of my want and into Thy wealth,Out of my sin and into Thyself,Jesus, I come to Thee.

Out of my shameful failure and loss,Jesus, I come, Jesus, I come;Into the glorious gain of Thy cross,Jesus, I come to Thee;Out of earth’s sorrows, into Thy balm,Out of life’s storms and into Thy calm,Out of distress to jubilant psalm,Jesus, I come to Thee.

Out of unrest and arrogant pride,Jesus, I come, Jesus, I come;Into Thy blessed will to abide,Jesus, I come to Thee;Out of myself to dwell in Thy love,Out of despair, into raptures above,Upward for aye on wings like a dove,Jesus, I come to Thee.

Out of the fear and dread of the tomb,Jesus, I come, Jesus, I come;Into the joy and light of Thy home,Jesus, I come to Thee;Out of the depths of ruin untold,Into the peace of Thy sheltering fold,Ever Thy glorious face to behold,Jesus, I come to Thee.

No comments: