Sunday, June 24, 2012

About Father's Day

We had such a fun Father's Day this year. The boys are getting older and a lot more fun on days like this. 
A few months back, Luke and I talked and said that Mother and Father's Day should really be about honoring mom and dad and making it about children towards parents. We didn't want another day where we had to frantically ask "what do you want for M/F's Day?", worry about money spent, where to eat, what to buy. There's enough of that with Christmas and birthdays. Don't get me wrong, we still bought presents, but the heart behind it was different. For our family, the love for me as a mom, or Luke as a dad, isn't determined by how much we spend on a gift, but by the forethought that is put into making the day special WITH the kids.

So here's how we spent Father's Day.
A hug from Isaac which can honestly be all Luke and I would need :)
 
 First gift, a box of Hamburger Helper. Luke loves it. I don't. So what better way to honor Luke than to cook him something he loves but we never eat.
 After church, the gift of playing XBOX with Isaac while I made the Hamburger Helper. Being a great dad and husband means he doesn't get to play as often as he would like. He loved it!
After we ate, we started opening the rest of our presents. Earlier that week, I took the boys to the Dollar Tree and told them to think (and I kept repeating) "What would daddy like, what would daddy like?" That's what made these next gifts special. They picked them out. And yes, only $1.

A too small fedora from me. HA! It's the thought that counts. 
 Isaac even picked out all the bags the gifts would go in and put the tissue paper in the bag.
 Isaac picked out a water gun for Luke. Sweet boy. He was so excited to tell him! I had to keep shushing him so he wouldn't spoil the surprise for Luke  :)


 Safety goggles from Simon. These here hilarious! Again, he picked them out himself. And check out the huge bag that Isaac chose with happy birthday tissue paper. heehee!

 And Luke's favorite, a not-so-new Green Lantern shirt!!! Not so new because I painted the emblem on a shirt that he already had, which for Luke, is even better!

 It's looks so awesome on him!! And now his collection is complete! (pictures to come)
 Here's a snapshpt of Luke with all his gifts.
It was a fun day for all of us and Luke really did feel honored! He had that satisfied sigh at the end of it all and told me as he often does, "I love my family." 

And most of all, we adore our Heavenly Father, who loved us first and adopted us into His family. Praise Him!

No comments: