Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Family Valentine's Day

Luke and I have never celebrated Valentine's Day as a couple. Partly because my birthday is the day before but mostly because it's such a Hallmark holiday. Everyday should be Valentine's Day!

But this year, my heart changed a little. Did you see that Hallmark commercial? It said, "Valentine's Day isn't for saying, I love you, it's for saying I love us". I really liked this campaign. And the wheels started turning.

We've been teaching Isaac about God's great love for us and we memorized 1 John 4:19 with him. We wanted that to be the focus for V-day.

But then I thought, let's also celebrate the love of our family. So, the adventure began. Here's how our family celebrated V-day.

First the decorations, all of which were made yesterday morning. My heart banner (Note: all the paper was from the $1 section at Target)
and a sun-catcher and chandelier decorations. Theses were definitely child oriented and not meant to be super fancy. Isaac helped me glue all the hearts.
Little napkin rings made with paper and tape. Super easy.
The table decorations. I took the 12x12 paper, cut out a big heart to make some simple place mats.
Next, some pink heart shaped ice cubes.
Now on to the food. This was very tedious but so worth it. Roasted heart shaped potatoes! I even cut the chicken breast like a heart. Can you see it? yum!Lastly, heart shaped brownies.
Isaac helped me out with these with a heart shaped cookie cutter. He also helped with the icing. And if you can see, I turned my head for a second and he took a little bite. Just making sure they were good enough for daddy I guess.

Throughout the day, and throughout dinner, we talked about how the heart is a symbol we use for love. We talked about ways we could love each other and how much mami and daddy love Isaac and Simon. When we asked how Isaac could show love he said "SySy ball" as in bring Simon the ball. so sweet.

Then Luke started talking about how the greatest love is love from God. Luke said that God showed us how much he loved us by sending Jesus to die on a cross to forgive our sins. Then it happened. Isaac started to sing on his own, "Jesus died my soul to save" from the hymn, Jesus Paid it All.

We've been singing this hymn to him and he has it all memorized for the most part. I almost cried when he sang it at this specific time. That he connected those dots. That he pulled that hymn out from his memory and connected it to what Luke was saying. Praise God! We know that God's word does not come back void and we pray that he will connect the dots to his heart one day.

So yeah, it was a great V-day and I hope this is a tradition that can stay with our family.

1 comment:

robert said...

Greetings from Wordwise Hymns. It was your reference to Mrs. Hall's hymn, "Jesus Paid It All," that caught my eye this morning. I'd just posted a blog on it myself--which I invite you to check out.

But, having paid you a visit, I must say I was greatly blessed by your efforts and creativity to make Valentine's Day special. Isaac has a great mom! God bless.