Thursday, January 7, 2010

Merry Epiphany!

What in the world is that, you may ask? It's also called Three Kings Day. This is the day that is traditionally celebrated as the day the three kings came to see baby Jesus and present their gifts. Which is why traditionally, we exchange gifts for Christmas. Because we want to teach our children every important part of the Christmas season (and because we just want to draw out Christmas as long as possible) we also exchange presents on Three Kings day. Traditionally (I feel like I'm saying that word a lot) you save one present from Christmas day to open. I've also heard that sometimes, parents hide presents under their childrens beds for this day. We have started our own tradition. Our three kings day presents must be 1) $5 or less 2) something the person really wants or needs (not just any random thing to fulfill an obligation) and 3) a handmade gift. The last one tends to be optional because I really needed bobbins but Luke can't make those. But in the future, I think I would like to emphasize the handmade part a little more. Here are some pictures from our Three Kings Day.

We got Isaac a Barnyard sounds book:I made Luke some cord holders from toilet paper rolls:Isaac got daddy some toboggans:Isaac got me a journal and Luke got me some bobbins. The good ones too!HUGE disclaimer: so much has been going on lately, none of us had the energy or foresight to make anything handmade. bummer. We'll really try for this one next year.

This day also marks when we bring all our Christmas decorations down. I think we're the only house left on our street that still has Christmas lights outside. So this weekend, everything will come down. A little sad, but this year, I'm ready. Isaac has done so good not caring about the Christmas trees all season, but this week, he's all over them! and it's driving me a little bonkers.

Anywho. I love my family. And I love that Luke, though he didn't celebrate this day as a child, has fully embraced and supported my love for everything Christmas and my passion for new traditions.

No comments: